Thanks to Chester, Captain Marvel, etc.
Yesterday was the third annual Abilene Gives Day! And for the second year in a row, the amount given went up! The theme of “give where you live” is a winner! And as one of the 121 nonprofits listed in this year’s AGD, we are truly thankful for the Community Foundation of Abilene for blessing us in this way! I am excited to announce 10 fun facts from our experience this year:
1. We met and exceeded our goal! Our goal was $6000 but we raised $6975.
2. We won a prize! We won $1000 from Lawrence Hall Chevrolet because we had the most unique gifts of $30 from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m.
3. We had 78 donations and 59 different donors! We had donations from the following: “Chester Bestertester,” Anonymous [one of my favorite authors], Captain Marvel, and Marley & Bree [2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels].
4. Even though it’s billed as “Give Where You Live,” we had donations from Washington, Illinois; Princeton, New Jersey; Denver, Colorado; Abilene, Arlington, Azle, Coppell, Irving, San Antonio, Spring, and Spring Branch, Texas!
5. The donations ranged from $10 to $1000, with a bunch of $30s [See #2]!
6. The First Financial Block Party to celebrate the day was great! Thanks for the burgers, etc. and the opportunity to celebrate with others as we all counted our blessings.
7. Over $41,000 was given to the “amplification funds”! So “turn it up” and we’ll be over $7000.
8. Most of the credit for how well we did should be given to Susan Fikes, our office manager, and social media queen!
9. Our money goes to Young Leaders of Abilene, our group of teens from North Abilene who are fun, feisty and caring leaders who are going to change the world!
10. Janet Mendenhall and David Adams are wonderful co-conspirators who lead the YLA group! Thanks for loving your neighbors and your neighborhood.
As a nonprofit organization in Abilene, we have a lot of company. I’m thankful for the wonderful response to Abilene Gives Day that helps to keep us all afloat. Abilene is a good place to live, but we’re all committed to making it better. Speaking for CCC, we are working each day to try and make Jesus’ prayer become a reality—“Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Thank you for helping us nonprofits and may the words of one of the prophets be lived out by all of us:
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God. [Micah 6:8]